Netbooks are pretty small and light laptops and fit well tucked away into a backpack.
We went with an Asus 1000HE for a few reasons:
- I can install Mac OSX on it, and this chart shows that there is support for all components. (Here’s a few helpful Hackintosh sites)
- It’s not ‘too’ tiny, the keyboard is a nice size
- It has a long battery life and great specs
- It has ethernet (that was why we went with this over an ipad, which would just be an ibrick in most countries)
- It’s cheap, I bought a used one for $200 off of ebay
Other items to note:
- There’s no DVD player, so assuming we want to watch some local flics, I also purchased a cheap portable dvd player/writer.
- I’m also bringing my iphone 3g that I will use as a mini computer on the go (no phone) – And I plan to turn it into a HitchHiker’s guide with offline wikipedia.
It took a bit of physical labor, 2 computers, an external HDÂ enclosure, and a few hours waiting, drinking beer and watching cartoons to get Mac OSX installed, but there was no way I’m going back to Windows. Â Once you go mac, you never go back.