India is a damn crazy place to drive. At first glance it appears that there are absolutely no rules, it’s pure chaos. You quickly come to realize that there are rules and they’re purely based on size and speed. You can pass anyone, anywhere, at anytime as long as they’re moving a tiny bit slower than you. But beware of oncoming traffic, they will hit you. Especially the lorries, do not mess with the truck drivers.
Rules of the road in India
- There really are cows on the highway. Do Not Hit a Cow.
- There are no stop signs or traffic lights. Even if there is a traffic light, ignore it.
- Each vehicle at the four way intersection has the right of way and will not stop. They will simple enter traffic at full speed.
- It is perfectly acceptable to cut someone off.
- Use your horn for everything, always.
- Trucks drive into oncoming traffic while flashing their lights. This is Indian-speak for “I will kill you, please give way”
- You will be run off the road. Expect this or deal with the consequences (death).
- There are no “lanes.”
- Only look in front of you, never behind you. Mirrors are unnecessary.
- Turn signals are never used.
- Yield to ox carts and marriages
- It’s perfectly normal to pull beside another vehicle and scream out thhe window,”Where are you going! What are you doing!” while driving down the highway.
- White people don’t drive rickshaws, particularly white women. This may attract some attention.
- Watch out for hop ons, God knows you’re gonna get hop ons.