India is a damn crazy place to drive. Â At first glance it appears that there are absolutely no rules, it’s pure chaos. You quickly come to realize that there are rules and they’re purely based on size and speed. Â You can pass anyone, anywhere, at anytime as long as they’re moving a tiny bit slower than you. But beware of oncoming traffic, they will hit you. Especially the lorries, do not mess with the truck drivers.
Rules of the road in India
- There really are cows on the highway. Do Not Hit a Cow.
- There areÂ no stop signs or traffic lights. Even if there Â is a traffic light, ignore it.
- Each vehicle at the four way intersection has the right of way and will not stop. They will simple enter trafficÂ at full speed.
- It is perfectly acceptable to cut someone off.
- Use your horn for everything, always.
- Trucks drive into oncoming traffic while flashing their lights. Â This is Indian-speak for “I will kill you, please give way”
- You will be run off the road. Expect this or deal with the consequences (death).
- There are no “lanes.”
- Only look in front of you, never behind you. Mirrors are unnecessary.
- Turn signals are never used.
- Yield to ox carts and marriages
- It’s perfectly normal to pull beside another vehicle and scream out thhe window,”Where are you going! What are you doing!” while driving down the highway.
- White people don’t drive rickshaws, particularly white women. Â This may attract some attention.
- Watch out for hop ons, God knows you’re gonna get hop ons.